CAREST network objectives can be summarized into six keys actions:
- To promote quality care of persons with sickle cell disease and thalassemia as well as to their families, by publishing of clinical protocols or recommendations adapted to the level of development ofcountry/territory in the Caribbean;
- To promote the training of the health professionals to ensure optimal care of the patients;
- To promote neonatal screening programs in countries that require it;
- To facilitate collaborations for the development of research programs on sickle cell disease and thalassemia in the Caribbean;
- To provide the public authorities with the epidemiologic data and research updates relating to sickle cell disease and thalassemia in the Caribbean;
- To lobby for the recognition of sickle cell disease and thalassemia as public health priorities in the Caribbean area.